Salesforce CPQ, or Configure, Price, Quote is a sales tool for companies to provide accurate pricing with any given product configuration scenario. CPQ applications take into account optional features, customizations, quantities, and discounts, allowing sales reps to quote prices quickly and accurately. Salesforce CPQ gives the sales team easy to use software, available on any device due to its cloud based platform.
Basically CPQ means – What products does the customer want to buy (configure)? How much do those products cost (price)? How can we give the customer details about the sale (quote)?
With CPQ we can create quotes quickly, with minimal effort and minimal error.
Before starting we need to Sign up for a free Developer Edition org with Salesforce CPQ.
Creating a quote means choosing products, and some products must be sold with other products. A bundle is simply a group of products we know should be sold together. There are three types of bundles.
- Static bundle: These bundles always have the same products together, in the same quantities, with no changes allowed.
- Configurable bundle: This bundle can be customized based on our liking, with some limits to prevent impossible configurations.
- Nested bundle: This is a bundle inside another bundle.
Product creation is always the first step for any of the CPQ Solutions. A product is an item offered for sale. It can be sold individually as a standalone item or as a component of a bundle product.Salesforce CPQ enables Admins and Product Managers to configure various types of product offerings and services using out-of-the-box features.
A Product Bundle is a combination of several products or services that are sold to consumers as one combined product or service package.
Configuring a Bundle Product in Salesforce CPQ involves creating below records-
1. Products: The bundle product as well as all the sub-products included in the bundle.
2. Product Options: A Product Option record for EACH sub-product to associate it with the bundle product. One Bundle can have many Product Options.
3. Product Features: Optional. Product Options having similar characteristics can be grouped together using a Product Feature. One Bundle can have many Product Features.
4. Option Constraints: Optional. Option Constraints ensure that all users select only compatible options. Article covering Option Constraints in detail is coming soon.
5. Configuration Attribute: Optional. Set the value of a specific field on multiple Product Options included in a Bundle or Feature. Article covering Configuration Attributes in detail is coming soon.
Salesforce CPQ allows Sales Reps to customize a bundle, wherein they can select from a set of multiple options present in a bundle based on Customer’s need.
Let us consider the following example :
Step 1: Create a Bundle Product and add Pricing
- Go-to Setup | Customize | Products | Fields | Product Family Field | New. Add Hardware as a new picklist value and click Save.
- Navigate to the Products Tab and click New Enter all the necessary information. Set Active checkbox to True. Keep default values unchanged.
CPQ provides additional custom fields on products that allows you to define-
- Configuration Type – whether a bundle requires a configuration or not
- Configuration Event – when to show Configure Products screen.
- Option Layout – how features are displayed in a bundle.
- Options Selection Method – ways to select options under a bundle.
3.Click Save & Add Price button and enter Standard Price for this Product.
Step 2: Create Optional Products and add Pricing
We need to create individual product records for optional/component products as well.
- Go-to Setup | Customize | Products | Fields | Product Family Field | New. Add Accessories as a new picklist value and click Save.
- Navigate to the Products Tab and click New Enter all the necessary information. Set Active checkbox to True. Keep default values unchanged
3. Repeat the steps mentioned in Create a Bundle Product and add Pricing to add pricing for each product and create all the other sub-products along with their standard and custom prices as specified in the Component/Option Products Table above.
Step 3: Create Product Features
Related Product Options are grouped together using a Product Feature.
Create a Memory Cards Product Feature to group all the Memory Cards available for sell under iPhone X Package.
- Navigate to the Apple iPhone X Package product | Features related list, click New Product Feature.
Feature Name – Memory Cards – displays under the Parent Product
Number – 10 – determines the sequence of a feature with respect to other features
Min/Max Options – restricts the number of Sub-Products that can be selected in a feature
Min Options = 0 means that the user can proceed without selecting any Memory Card.
- Add below Features under the parent bundle. Enter values for Number and Min/ Max Options fields as necessary.
- Mobile Cases
Step 4: Create Product Options
To configure an individual product as a component of a Bundle Product, we need to create Product Options. Product Options act as a link between the component product and its bundle product.
Add iPhone X Silicone Case – Marine Green Product case as a sub-product under iPhone X Package in Mobile Cases Feature.
- Navigate to the Parent Product Apple iPhone X Package | Options related list, click New Product Option
Number – 10 -to determine the sequence of this sub-product in a bundle
Configured SKU – Lookup to the Bundle Product i.e. Apple iPhone X Package. It is automatically populated while creating a Product Option from a bundle product.
Optional SKU – Lookup to the Sub-Product e. iPhone X Silicone Case – Marine Green Product. This is where you actually associate a sub-product to the bundle.
Type – Accessory – Case is a Mobile accessory
2.Repeat above steps to add all the Accessory products under appropriate Features as shown below. Here is the Options related list on a Parent Product with all the Product Options.
Check it out in the Quote Line Editor :